Research areas: Molecular Virology, Immunology, Allergy
Respiratory RNA viruses play an important role in the initiation and exacerbation of chronic inflammatory lung disease, including allergic asthma. Clinically relevant pathogens include influenza virus (IAV), rhinovirus (RV), and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). In the first funding period, the Renz and Skevaki groups focused on the role of IAV infections in the development of allergic asthma, utilizing a well-established murine animal model of experimental asthma. Surprisingly, they found that a single preceding H1N1 IAV infection rendered the mice resistant to subsequent development of allergic airway inflammation, airway hyperresponsiveness and Th2-immune responses. This protection was dependent on the presence of both CD4+ and CD8+ T effector memory cells. By means of comprehensive in silico analyses, ex vivo T-cell peptide stimulation, and in vivo immunization experiments, two MHC-class I H1N1 peptides and two MHC-class II H1N1 peptides, which cross-react with three ovalbumin-derived peptides, were identified. These data illustrate for the first time heterologous immunity of virus-infected animals towards an allergen. Project-related publications of the investigators:
- Taka S, Nikopoulou C, Polyzos A, Megremis S, Skevaki CL, Roumpedaki E, Trochoutsou A, Thanos D, Papadopoulos NG. Effects of cryopreservation on antiviral responses of primary airway epithelial cells. Allergy. 2019 Dec 27.
- Matricardi PM, Dramburg S, Potapova E, Skevaki C, Renz H. Molecular diagnosis for allergen immunotherapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2019 Mar;143(3):831-843.
- Skevaki C, Renz H. Advances in mechanisms of allergic disease 2017. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Oct 10. pii: S0091-6749(18)31436-2.
- Potaczek DP, Unger SD, Zhang N, Taka S, Michel S, Akdağ N, Lan F, Helfer M, Hudemann C, Eickmann M, Skevaki C, Megremis S, Sadewasser A, Alashkar Alhamwe B, Alhamdan F, Akdis M, Edwards MR, Johnston SL, Akdis CA, Becker S, Bachert C, Papadopoulos NG, Garn H, Renz H. Development and characterization of DNAzyme candidates demonstrating significant efficiency against human rhinoviruses. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Aug 14. pii: S0091-6749(18)31139-4.
- Pusch E, Renz H, Skevaki C. Respiratory virus-induced heterologous immunity. Allergo J Int. 2018 Mar 26.
- Skevaki C, Hudemann C, Matrosovich M, Möbs C, Paul S, Wachtendorf A, Alashkar Alhamwe B, Potaczek DP, Hagner S, Gemsa D, Garn H, Sette A, Renz H. Influenza-derived peptides cross-react with allergens and provide asthma protection. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Sep;142(3):804-814.
- Schwarze J, Openshaw P, Jha A, Del Giacco SR, Firinu D, Tsilochristou O, Roberts G, Selby A, Akdis C, Agache I, Custovic A, Heffler E, Pinna G, Khaitov M, Nikonova A, Papadopoulos N, Akhlaq A, Nurmatov U, Renz H, Sheikh A, Skevaki C. Influenza burden, prevention and treatment in asthma - a scoping review by the EAACI influenza in asthma task force. Allergy. 2017 Nov 6.
- Nilsson L, Brockow K, Alm J, Cardona V, Caubet JC, Gomes E, Jenmalm MC, Lau S, Netterlid E, Schwarze J, Sheikh A, Storsaeter J, Skevaki C, Terreehorst I, Zanoni G. Vaccination and allergy: EAACI position paper, practical aspects. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2017 Nov;28(7):628-640.