Research areas: Molecular Virology, Immunology, Allergy
Respiratory RNA viruses play an important role in the initiation and exacerbation of chronic inflammatory lung disease, including allergic asthma. Clinically relevant pathogens include influenza virus (IAV), rhinovirus (RV), and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). In the first funding period, the Renz and Skevaki groups focused on the role of IAV infections in the development of allergic asthma, utilizing a well-established murine animal model of experimental asthma. Surprisingly, they found that a single preceding H1N1 IAV infection rendered the mice resistant to subsequent development of allergic airway inflammation, airway hyperresponsiveness and Th2-immune responses. This protection was dependent on the presence of both CD4+ and CD8+ T effector memory cells. By means of comprehensive in silico analyses, ex vivo T-cell peptide stimulation, and in vivo immunization experiments, two MHC-class I H1N1 peptides and two MHC-class II H1N1 peptides, which cross-react with three ovalbumin-derived peptides, were identified. These data illustrate for the first time heterologous immunity of virus-infected animals towards an allergen. Project-related publications of the investigators:
- Renz H, Skevaki C. 2020. Early life microbial exposures and allergy risks: opportunities for prevention. Nat Rev Immunol.
- Skevaki C, Karsonova A, Karaulov A, Xie M, Renz H. 2020. Asthma-associated risk for COVID-19 development. J Allergy Clin Immunol.
- Skevaki C, Fragkou PC, Cheng C, Xie M, Renz H. 2020. Laboratory characteristics of patients infected with the novel SARS-CoV-2 virus. J Infect 81:205–212.
- Balz K, Trassl L, Härtel V, Nelson PP, Skevaki C. 2020. Virus-Induced T Cell-Mediated Heterologous Immunity and Vaccine Development. Front Immunol 11:513.
- Taka S, Nikopoulou C, Polyzos A, Megremis S, Skevaki CL, Roumpedaki E, Trochoutsou A, Thanos D, Papadopoulos NG. Effects of cryopreservation on antiviral responses of primary airway epithelial cells. Allergy. 2019 Dec 27.
- Matricardi PM, Dramburg S, Potapova E, Skevaki C, Renz H. Molecular diagnosis for allergen immunotherapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2019 Mar;143(3):831-843.
- Kirjavainen PV, Karvonen AM, Adams RI, Täubel M, Roponen M, Tuoresmäki P, Loss G, Jayaprakash B, Depner M, Ege MJ, Renz H, Pfefferle PI, Schaub B, Lauener R, Hyvärinen A, Knight R, Heederik DJJ, Mutius E von, Pekkanen J. 2019. Farm-like indoor microbiota in non-farm homes protects children from asthma development. Nat Med 25:1089–1095.
- Potaczek DP, Unger SD, Zhang N, Taka S, Michel S, Akdağ N, Lan F, Helfer M, Hudemann C, Eickmann M, Skevaki C, Megremis S, Sadewasser A, Alashkar Alhamwe B, Alhamdan F, Akdis M, Edwards MR, Johnston SL, Akdis CA, Becker S, Bachert C, Papadopoulos NG, Garn H, Renz H. Development and characterization of DNAzyme candidates demonstrating significant efficiency against human rhinoviruses. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Aug 14. pii: S0091-6749(18)31139-4.
- Skevaki C, Hudemann C, Matrosovich M, Möbs C, Paul S, Wachtendorf A, Alashkar Alhamwe B, Potaczek DP, Hagner S, Gemsa D, Garn H, Sette A, Renz H. Influenza-derived peptides cross-react with allergens and provide asthma protection. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Sep;142(3):804-814.
- Skevaki C, Renz H. Advances in mechanisms of allergic disease 2017. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Oct 10. pii: S0091-6749(18)31436-2.